The University of Bath is now offering support to a limited number of students who have asylum seeker, refugee or humanitarian protection status in the UK.
In 2015, a group of staff and students, including refugees, resolved that the University of Bath should open itself to people seeking refuge in the UK. They started a campaign through their trade unions and students’ union Amnesty International society, requesting a package of scholarships and other support for refugees and asylum seekers. They also began fundraising and received over £7,500 in donations.
Following discussions with university managers, and with widespread backing rom staff and students, an initial scheme was approved by University Senate in June 2017. It includes specific support for two postgraduate students and one undergraduate student each year. We are now looking forward to welcoming the first students onto it.
Summary of Support Available:
- All undergraduate and postgraduate students with UK asylum seeker status will now be classified as home students for fee purposes;
- Two postgraduate taught students with UK asylum seeker status will receive Sanctuary Scholarships, which include full tuition fee waivers and £10,000 bursaries towards living costs;
- All undergraduate students with refugee or humanitarian protection (+3 years residency) status will be offered means-tested support, a room in University accommodation for the duration of their course and access to a range of bursaries and financial support.
- At least one undergraduate with refugee or humanitarian protection status will also receive a Gold Scholarship, which includes a £5,000 per year bursary towards living costs.
More Information & Apply:
- Undergraduates: email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +44 (0)1225 383019
- Postgraduates: download an application form, email email@example.com or telephone +44 (0)1225 385815